Saturday, July 23, 2011

What's Occupying Your Space

The Lord delivered such a profound message at church this morning, and I'd really like to bless others who might be following my blog. Donna Crouch preached a message at Hillsong Church this morning on what is occupying our space. The main passage of scripture came from Paul's letter to Philippi in chapter 3 verses 12-14. It reads:
     "Not that I have obtained it or have already become perfect, but I press on so that I may lay hold of that for which I was laid hold of by Christ Jesus. Brethren, I do not regard myself as having laid hold of it yet; but one thing I do know: forgetting what lies behind and reaching forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus."
The illustration of a camping tent was used to symbolize our lives, and what we allow to fill that tent is what shapes our identities. Some things we choose to let fill our lives is Regret! Paul states that some things are just worth forgetting. Paul's former life as Saul is one past that would be hard to forget. Acts 8-9 recaps Saul's persecution of the New Testament church. Killing others for their faith is something that would be hard to forget, even after receiving a new life in Christ Jesus. But Paul was given a new name, a new identity and he says that he has to forget what lies behind. What are you holding on to, maybe regretting, that is occupying places in your life that need to be filled with the Holy Spirit.
A lot of times, we indulge in regret. We regret our past actions, the do's, and the inactions, the should have done's. I pray over you reading that grace would camp in those indulgences of regret. Replace what you don't have with what God has already given you, and forget what you've done, and replace it with, as verse 14 says, what lies ahead. God is calling you for something great. He does not condemn you, but has forgiven you. Now forgive yourself, and forget, in Christ Jesus!
Lastly, strain towards the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus. Hebrews 12:1-2 tells us how to do that. We must "...lay aside every encumbrance and sin that so easily entangles us, but instead run the race set before us with endurance. Always learn from your experiences. Life is a journey full of opportunities that never ends until our perfect day of completion in Christ Jesus. Take on those opportunities with boldness. I prophesy this over you now, I remind you to kindle afresh the gift of God which is in you through the laying of my hands. For God has not given you a spirit of timidity, but of power and love and sound judgement. Be bold, be powerful, and be disciplined for the gospel of Jesus and the glory of the Father.
I hope this blessed you as it did me. Have a great week and feel free to pass this on as the Spirit leads. For all of you out there with regret, be strong in grace that is in Christ Jesus. Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment